Choose a year from the menu on the left to view pictures of family events and the family members that attended them.
Today, the family celebrates two events each year. The first started out as the Fourth of July Picnic. We usually went to Center Hill Lake and cooked the traditional 4th meal, hamburgers and hot dogs. We moved this to the Edgar Evins park after it was built. The date was later changed to the first Saturday in June. This corresponds with the Decoration at Odd Fellows Cemetery where the Alexander family plot is located. Later, the location of the picnic was moved to Burgess Falls Park. Problems with the state Budget threaten this park, as well as many others. We really enjoy this location and will continue to use it in the foreseeable future if it is available.
The second event is the Family Christmas Dinner. We started out celebrating Christmas at Granny and Grampa's home. After they passed away we met at the home of a different family each year. Now, on the first weekend in December, we meet at the Baxter City Hall in the Community Room. We have a pot luck dinner provided by some of the best cooks around. Each family has a specialty and we look forward to it every year. We enjoy catching up on family news and events. And we take tons of pictures, just ask anyone!
June 1, 2003
Burgess Falls State Natural Area
The park area was named for Tom Burgess, who was deeded the land in 1793
by the U.S. Government as partial payment for his services in the
The Falling Water River played a very important role in the development
of the surrounding region. Along this river there once stood a grist
mill operated by the Burgess family, which provided meal and flour to
many settlers of the region. Also, powered by the river, there stood a
sawmill that provided lumber instead of the handsawn lumber that took so
long for the settlers to cut.
Probably the most noted industry here was the production of electricity.
The City of Cookeville acquired the land in the early 1920's, and
constructed a dam and powerhouse in order to produce electricity for the
city. In 1928 though, a torrential rain caused the dam to wash out. When
the dam broke, the resulting rush of water completely demolished the
The new dam and powerhouse were completed in September 1929. The dam is a concrete
gravity structure 30 feet high and 336 feet long. The spillway has seven gates
approximately 5 feet wide and 20 feet high. This new dam and powerhouse produced
electricity until it the generator was ruined in a later flood. In 1944 Cookeville
started buying it's power from TVA who was producing power with it's massive new
dams and powerhouses.
Today, the Burgess Falls Dam still stands. The dam, falls, and surrounding area are
now part of Burgess Falls State Natural Area.
Baxter City Hall
July 3, 2004
The columns of City Hall were originally part of Baxter Seminary / Upperman High School.
Upperman's Georgian architecture coupled with the majestic oaks on the campus
made the campus one of the most picturesque and beautiful in the state. As with many historical and other works of art, it fell to progress and poor planning/judgement and was replaced by a modern, styleless "box" whose roof leaked almost immediately.
The columns were saved, shortened, and used in the construction of the then new City Hall.
A new Upperman High School was completed for the 2003 school year at a new 40 acre location near the northern city limits. The new school better reflects the style of the original but the original is gone except in photos and in our memories.